Tuesday 14 February 2012

Creating a RPG in Java

As some of you may know I have graduated from my degree in music, allowing me a lot of free time to get back in to programming. I am working with the java language to write a RPG not really like any other.

This project is in fact over 10 years old finding its origins in tabletop gaming. Once upon a time I used to play a lot of dice RPG's such as Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer Quest and Talisman. It was from this that a passion for creating my own games began to grow. After writing numerous tabletop systems that were successful amongst my local gaming community I looked to create something larger.

I have a strong memory of my very first role playing experience. I was with my dad when I was around 8 and we were rummaging through a used bookstore. In a pile of books I produced one named "The Citadel of Chaos". This book was a choose your own adventure but would also have you create a characer and roll dice to battle monsters through out the text. As a young kid my mind was blown.

It is from this fond memory that the basis of the RPG I am working on is formed. However, what if the story was randomly generated? What if all the enemies you encounter and alliances you forge were with randomly generated NPC's dropping randomly generated items.

What I am talking about is the ability to generate a compelling story of which all facets are random. This is not a light concept and some may think I am crazy for trying. This is the core of the "Empire in Ashes" experience and what I try to base everything else around.

CURRENT PROGRESS
  • Gui frames and layout established (placeholder art only)
  • Main menu with selectable options
  • Tabs in game play state switch between the various windows
  • Character object created
  • Save and load from text file
  • Characters various statistics display to screen in real time

No comments:

Post a Comment